Wednesday, August 19, 2009


Over at Last

Weeks 36-38? You may have noticed my absence lately. I continued my saga in silence these last few weeks. I haven't been in the mood for writing because writing means I have to admit I'm scared. Chemo is over and I know I'm supposed to be happy about that, and I am, but unfortunately my spirit is tempered by a sense of fear. Not having chemo means I don't have a security blanket anymore. As much as I dislike the effects of chemotherapy, I felt protected by it. Feeling sick meant I had the upper hand in this fight. I'm afraid the treatment will "wear off" and I'll be vulnerable again. The routine check-ups and tests will inevitably become less frequent and then eventually I'll be on my own again, like a normal person. That worries me. It turned out that my first cancer was a fierce opponent with enough strength in reserve obviously to rise up and challenge me a second time. So even if I withstand the battles, can I win the war? I never really thought about cancer in the first place; nor did I ever think about it coming back. But my body betrayed me both times. How can I trust that it won't let me down again? I'm imprisoned by the dread of another recurrence. Yes, I'm happy that chemo is over, but I need to learn how to cope for the long run.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann
Just so you know, we've been reading your blog since you started it. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you again this second go'round.
Hang in there!
Uncle George

Sunbee (Sherrel) said...

Hi Ann, keep up that battle. My brother in law went through Hodgkins twice and has been in remission for 10 years now and going strong. His second round was the hardest (as is for you), but you are a strong person and will get through this battle. Cheers to you! ~Sherrel

sandogger said...

Hi Ann,

I also have BC, Stage III, and am right now going through radiation. I had chemo first, then surgery, now radiation. I too don't know what to think when people tell me that I am almost all done. Well, I still have to have reconstruction and I have had so many bad side effects that I don't feel very done. Anyway, there is going to be worry with recurrence and I guess we just have to keep on keepin on.

Post a Comment